Senior Legal Counsel – CommercialI'm interested
An outstanding opportunity for an experienced Senior Commercial Lawyer to engage in cutting-edge and strategic level work at a world-leading Sydney university.
THE ROLE: Senior Legal Counsel – Commercial
The primary responsibility of the role is to provide strategic and commercial legal advice on complex legal matters, including: –
- Provide strategic legal advice on high-value commercial transactions with domestic and international partners.
- Draft and settle contracts, disputes, agreements, letters, correspondence, and memoranda of understanding.
- Advice on marketing materials, student recruitment, access, hire and events, short course training contracts, and procurement (non-research).
- Philanthropy, maintenance of charitable status, charitable fundraising, Sponsorship (non-research).
- Work collaboratively with clients on business opportunities.
- Liaise with, and supervise external legal service providers.
- Manage and develop client and key stakeholder relationships.
- Build strong networks across the higher education sector.
- Assist and provide high-level strategic legal advice on developing, reviewing, and drafting university statutes and policies.
- Proactive identification of actual and potential legal and regulatory risks and recommendations for constructive approaches and responses
- Provide input into responses to draft legislation and government or regulatory reviews or reports.
- Reporting directly to the Vice Chancellor, the legal function is influential.
- An unrestricted practising Australian Legal Practicing Certificate
- 7+ years’ post-qualification experience, including experience advising, negotiating, and drafting a range of commercial contracts.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with diverse audiences in public and private settings, including effectively translating complex legal ideas or concepts for lay audiences.
- Exceptional attention to detail. High level of problem-solving skills with a commercial approach.
- Demonstrated ability to critically review and analyse contracts, legislation and other regulatory instruments, apply commercial acumen and negotiate and draft legal documents for a broad range of complex legal matters reflecting commercial, statutory and institutional requirements within tight timeframes.
- Strong negotiation skills, including a capacity to exercise sound judgement.
- An ability to work within a small team and adopt a flexible approach to a demanding and time-pressured client base.
- An innovative mindset and being open to change, as the legal function, constantly seeks ways to improve their service through automation and other technologies.
- Grow your career working in a world-leading university.
- Cutting-edge, engaging, and varied legal issues.
- Work within a collaborative, supportive and established legal team.
- Increase your professional and technical capability by working and learning from colleagues at the top of their game.
- Hybrid and flexible working available
- An organisation with an excellent, engaging, and innovative culture
- Excellent, experienced, and supportive GC – we’ve worked with them before, and they are outstanding
- Very competitive remuneration!
This role is looking to fill quickly, so if this sounds like an opportunity you would like to explore further, please apply, and we will be in touch soon.
Alternatively, if you would like to have a confidential conversation first, please feel free to contact Imogen Spouse at Dovetail Legal Solutions at email@example.com – to arrange an initial chat.
Founded in 2015, Dovetail is Australia’s only dedicated in-house legal recruiter. We’ve made over 300 placements, assisted hundreds of companies and helped grow the careers of hundreds of lawyers. We give access to more lawyers and jobs than any other provider.