Senior Legal Counsel: Commercial Role in Financial Services CompanyI'm interested
Fantastic opportunity for a Senior Commercial Lawyer with in-house commercial experience to join a leading and innovative Financial Services Company headquartered in Perth.
- A distinguished reputation in the financial services sector, built upon a history of innovation and dedication to exceptional service.
- Established in 1994, it is an innovative and dynamic Western Australian Financial Services company.
- With a clear vision, they are passionate about the service they provide and the positive social impact they make.
- Over $6bn under management and assisted over 110,000 clients.
- Headquartered in Perth CBD
- Despite being in a Financial Services Company, this is a broad commercial role supporting the business’s operational requirements. While experience in or exposure to Banking and Finance would be useful, it is not a necessary component of the role.
- As Senior Legal Counsel, this role plays an important within the Company and will involve a wide array of responsibilities, including:-
- Advise on legal responsibility and compliance with legal and commercial obligations.
- Identify current and potential legal risks and develop mitigating strategies with the business.
- Review major contracts and interpret rights and obligations for a variety of commercial agreements, including but not limited to licenses, services, leases, project agreements, and provide legal advice consistent with the commercial interests of the Company.
- Assist in drafting contracts and agreements with external legal service providers, where appropriate.
- Assist commercial negotiations by developing strategies that protect the Company’s interests.
- Provide general advice, interpretation and assistance to management in relation to banking and finance, privacy and other general legal and regulatory obligations.
- Monitor legislative developments and practices within the finance/credit industry, particularly in the areas of governance and consumer credit.
- Providing pro-active advice on legislative and regulatory developments, including to senior executives
- Communicate and promote risk management activities and initiatives.
- Assist in managing the intellectual property portfolio for the Company
Litigation and dispute management
- Assist in managing claims or conducting litigation and brief external lawyers cost-effectively to obtain the best possible outcome.
- Assist the Company in achieving its objectives by providing legal support on strategically important projects.
- Provide mentoring to other legal team members to promote a high-performance, positive customer-focused culture.
The ideal candidate will be an individual who is driven, resilient and possesses a keen eye for detail. Here’s what we’re looking for:
- You have the basics – you hold a current Australian Legal Practicing Certificate and have 8+ years of experience, including broad contractual negotiation and drafting gained in-house.
- Substantial experience in the provision of in-house legal counsel and advisory work.
- Experience in drafting, reviewing and commenting on commercial contracts, IT contracts, supplier agreements and other business documents such as external marketing materials.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a small team to deliver exceptional legal services across a commercial organisation.
- Excellent negotiation and dispute-resolution skills.
- You have advanced problem-solving ability and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You can work under pressure, meet deadlines, and effectively manage your time.
- Exposure or experience in financial services would be helpful but not essential.
- A proactive approach to continuous improvement
- Ability to recognise and understand the risks involved in a business and assesses how to reduce them.
- Ability to assess new products or development initiatives and advise on the necessary compliance controls and residual risks
- Practical commercial experience in understanding how risk management and compliance fit within the corporate environment
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to build rapport, credibility and strong working relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders, including the board of directors.
- The key for this role is the ability to communicate legal concepts in a commercially focused and pragmatic manner which will involve regular collaboration with and presentation to the chief executive team and the board of directors.
- Proven commitment to working pro-actively as part of the team to deliver exceptional outcomes
- Demonstrated agility to develop solutions to complex problems that assist operational and strategic outcomes, including the ability to manage competing priorities.
- Ability to work independently with the business and with limited supervision.
- Mindful in decision-making, including the ability to reflect on decisions and identify areas of improvement.
- Critical thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions or approaches to problems.
- Engage in varied legal work within a high-performing team.
- Work closely with the business, gaining visibility from strategy to implementation.
- Be part of a well-established and innovative organisation
- Be at the forefront of the development of financial services and products
- Work with a passionate and engaged team pricing services with high positive social impact
- Gain valuable experience working in the headquarters – have access to the Board and Management
- Experience a collaborative and high-performing work culture.
- Enjoy a good work/life balance.
- Receive competitive remuneration.
- Hybrid and flexible working available
This role is looking to fill quickly, so if this sounds like an opportunity you would like to explore further, please apply, and we will be in touch shortly.
Alternatively, if you would like to have a confidential conversation first, please get in touch with Andrew Murdoch at Dovetail Legal Solutions at firstname.lastname@example.org – to arrange an initial chat.
Founded in 2015, Dovetail is Australia’s only dedicated in-house legal recruiter. We’ve made over 300 placements, assisted hundreds of companies and helped grow the careers of hundreds of lawyers. We give access to more lawyers and jobs than any other provider.