An established global investment firm with almost 50 years of experience in applying leading equity and fixed-income investment strategies and market solutions for clients around the world.
- Provide legal advice and support to the business on local and global regulatory issues arising in the context of the group’s asset management business, with a focus on ETFs.
- Provide legal guidance and advice to the business for new investment product launches, including preparation of disclosure documentation and liaising with regulators and service providers.
- Provide general regulatory advice, including interpretation and application of regulatory reforms to the business.
- Review, negotiate, and draft amendments to Investment Management Agreements – working closely with internal stakeholders to provide commercial advice.
- Prepare and review client and supplier/vendor contracts – including platform agreements, back office contracts, IT contracts, and other corporate contracts.
- Liaise with and oversee work provided by outside counsel on a variety of legal matters ensuring the standards for service delivery and cost are met.
- Collaborate closely with a global legal team across the organisation.
- Partner with sales, client servicing, marketing, product development, research, and compliance departments to identify and manage any legal issues and risks.
- Conduct reviews of marketing materials, client/consultant questionnaires, and ongoing due diligence requests.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Australian qualified lawyer with at least 8+ years post-qualification experience.
- Experience in private practice with a reputable law firm specialising in funds management / financial services.
- Demonstrated depth of experience with ETF products is essential for this role.
- Experience with other investment vehicles (e.g., mutual funds, separate accounts) will also be considered.
- In-house experience with an investment manager or financial services business (or a secondment) is desirable.
- Ability to provide technically correct, but also commercial advice.
- Ability to work with global legal colleagues across different jurisdictions and time zones.
- Proficiency with Chapters 5C and 7 of the Corporations Act.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Familiarity with investment management agreements – negotiation, amendment, and compliance reviews.
- Exposure to IDPS agreements desirable – wrap agreements and other platform agreements.
- Exposure to securities class actions desirable – participation by funds.
- General commercial and contract law experience.
- Strong academic achievement at a reputable university.
- Team player with the ability to work on own initiative, and manage multiple work streams and tasks reliably, without requiring close supervision.
- Ability to collaborate with non-legal teams within the business and explain practical implications of the law clearly and simply.
- Delegates appropriately.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written).
This is an exceptional opportunity for a highly capable and motivated lawyer with ETF experience to join a global investment firm with a strong reputation and a commitment to excellence.
If you meet the above qualifications and are interested in this opportunity, please click the “Apply” button, and we will be in touch shortly.