Legal Counsel – University – CommercialI'm interested
An outstanding opportunity for an experienced Commercial Lawyer to engage in cutting-edge and strategic level work at a world-leading Sydney university.
The primary responsibility of the role is to provide strategic and commercial legal advice on complex legal matters, including: –
- Negotiate and provide authoritative and strategic legal advice and services across a wide range of commercial transactions (including procurement, sponsorships, infrastructure and technology) and transactions supporting the University’s academic and research endeavours (such as academic partnerships, international projects, agency arrangements and program delivery agreements).
- Draft and settle contracts, disputes, agreements, letters, correspondence and memoranda of understanding with internal and external parties as instructed and in accordance with University objectives.
- Provide strategic legal advice on commercial transactions with domestic and international partners.
- Work collaboratively with clients on business opportunities by providing advice and services on suitable structures and based on the University’s risk appetite.
- All commercial matters that affect the University are managed promptly, considering the University’s risk appetite.
- An unrestricted practising Australian Legal Practicing Certificate.
- 4+ years post-qualification experience, including experience advising, negotiating, and drafting a range of commercial contracts.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with diverse audiences in public and private settings, including effectively translating complex legal ideas or concepts for lay audiences.
- Exceptional attention to detail. High level of problem-solving skills with a commercial approach.
- Demonstrated ability to critically review and analyse contracts, legislation and other regulatory instruments, apply commercial acumen and negotiate and draft legal documents for a broad range of complex legal matters reflecting commercial, statutory and institutional requirements within tight timeframes.
- Strong negotiation skills, including a capacity to exercise sound judgement.
- An ability to work within a team and adopt a flexible approach to a demanding and time-pressured client base.
- An innovative mindset and being open to change, as the legal function, constantly seeks ways to improve their service through automation and other technologies.
- Grow your career working in a world-leading university.
- Cutting-edge, engaging, and varied legal issues.
- Work within a collaborative, supportive and established legal team.
- Increase your professional and technical capability by working and learning from colleagues at the top of their game.
- Hybrid and flexible working available.
- An organisation with an excellent, engaging, and innovative culture.
- Excellent, experienced, and supportive GC and Senior Legal Counsel.
This role is looking to fill quickly, so if this sounds like an opportunity you would like to explore further, please apply, and we will be in touch soon.
Alternatively, if you would like to have a confidential conversation first, please feel free to contact Andrew Murdoch at Dovetail Legal Solutions at firstname.lastname@example.org – to arrange an initial chat.
Founded in 2015, Dovetail is Australia’s only dedicated in-house legal recruiter. We’ve made over 300 placements, assisted hundreds of companies and helped grow the careers of hundreds of lawyers. We give access to more lawyers and jobs than any other provider.