Legal Counsel – Fin-Tech CompanyI'm interested
A leading Australian FinTech company, based in Sydney, has a permanent opportunity for a lawyer with 4 to 8 years of experience. The company is open to considering applications from lawyers currently working in law firms or in-house. Don’t miss out on this fantastic chance to work at a leading FinTech.
The company has grown phenomenally since its foundation six years ago, attracting more than 9,000 investors and more than $2.1 billion of investments.
In 2022, they made the AFR Fast Starters List and were a FinTech Awards finalist. They were in the Financial Times list of high-growth companies in the Asia-Pacific and Deloitte Tech Fast 50.
The original investment business has expanded into a funds management business and a white-labelled technology/professional services business.
THE ROLE: Legal Counsel – Fin-Tech Company
- You will be at the core of the business, working closely with the General Counsel and other senior executives.
- Not your typical Financial Services role – it is working in a fast-paced, commercial environment.
- You will be working on a variety of legal issues, including:-
- Negotiation and drafting of a wide range of general commercial agreements.
- Drive implementation of AI-enabled contract management system to improve record-keeping and obligations management, track precedent development and enable self-service by the business;
- Complete the transfer of technology and agree on new intra-group licensing.
- Support capital raise processes;
- Assist with financial services issues – this can be taught.
- Oversight of external lawyers and capture of financial services advice;
- Improve governance structures by driving the adoption of new subsidiary board meetings and delegations/approvals processes;
- Primary carriage of third-party white-label precedents and adaptation;
- This is a dynamic business, anticipating further strategic evolution and the role will support the organisation and management of new initiatives from a legal and risk perspective as they arise.
- There is just as much emphasis on your soft skills – communication, self-awareness, and initiative as on your technical skills.
You have the basics
You have a current Australian Practising Certificate and 4 to 8 years of experience. You can come either from an existing in-house role or directly from a law firm.
You are a high-performing lawyer and eager to learn
- You can focus on diverse legal issues and work from first principles.
- An independent thinker with energy and enthusiasm to effect positive outcomes both operationally and commercially in a high-growth business;
- Have effective writing and drafting skills with great attention to detail;
- Show resourcefulness and intellectual curiosity and be a self-directed and continuous learner.
- Candidates passionate about tech solutions and entrepreneurship will be highly favoured.
- Experience and skills or all of the following will be helpful: general commercial contracts drafting, contract management skills and experience; familiarity with financial services licensing (wholesale only) and marketing requirements; understanding of financial services products; some regulatory experience; due diligence skills; board and governance exposure including company secretarial and trust administration.
You get it commercially
- You are comfortable working in a high-performing commercial team and have a keen awareness of commercially-minded and practical legal solutions for the business. You have the aptitude for managing work priorities and the expectations of stakeholders.
- Demonstrate a bias toward action/getting things done with high self-motivation; and an ability to work in a largely unstructured but results-oriented environment;
- Build business relationships quickly with the most senior to the most junior and work effectively across a business building collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Multi-task and manage multiple assignments and deliverables simultaneously;
You fit culturally
You are self-aware; grounded; have excellent written and verbal communication skills; proficient in technology; an energetic self-starter; comfortable operating autonomously; calm and considered; practical with common sense; and prepared to take ownership. Adaptable to emerging and shifting priorities;
- Gain valuable FinTech experience working in the headquarters and alongside the executive in a leading Australian company.
- Have visibility of how-and-why commercial decisions are made and understand your role in implementing the strategic direction.
- Take your career to the next level – work within a high-performing team with an engaged and passionate workforce.
- Increase your professional and technical capability by working and learning from people at the top of their game.
- Sydney CBD location
- Work with an excellent, supportive, and collaborative General Counsel
- Hybrid/remote work available
This role is looking to fill quickly, so if this sounds like an opportunity you would like to explore further, please click the “Apply” button, and we will be in touch shortly.
Founded in 2015, Dovetail Legal Solutions is Australia’s only dedicated in-house legal recruiter. We’ve made over 300 placements, assisted hundreds of companies, and helped grow the careers of hundreds of lawyers. We give access to more lawyers and jobs than any other provider.