Head of Legal – Start-Up – RemoteI'm interested
A rare and outstanding opportunity has arisen for an experienced IT software and/or Utilities lawyer to become the first Head of Legal at a rising start-up. The best of both worlds – an entrepreneurial start-up with the backing of a major corporate. A completely remote working role.
- The Company partners with utility companies to deliver world-class, highly software that solves an increasingly sophisticated issue for utility companies.
- All our people can work from wherever suits them and can fit work around life, wherever they choose to live.
- The business is in the start-up phase, moving quickly with an emphasis on product development, sales and marketing. As with any company, particularly a start-up, securing customers and driving revenue is essential.
- An independent company 100% owned by a listed Company with a $11B valuation.
- Greenfield, Head of Legal role for the entire business; currently in Australia and NZ and looking to expand to overseas markets.
- This is a full-time, 5 days a week, permanent position
- Sole legal counsel and support the business with all its legal requirements, from business-as-usual to strategic executive level.
- You must be able to negotiate critical contracts with large utility companies with sophisticated in-house legal teams. As an extension of the negotiation, your commercial drafting skills should also be exceptional.
- To effectively negotiate with their customers, you will need to understand both the Company’s products and services and the regulatory environment in which its customers operate. Experience in the utility/energy sector would be useful; however, the ability and desire to get up to speed with industry regulations will be sufficient.
- Reporting to the CEO, you will be part of the Executive Team and work closely with them. You will also work closely with and partner with the Sales Team and attend meetings and negotiations with them. You will share the Sales Team’s desire to get the deals over the line.
- The Company currently uses top-tier external lawyers for all its legal requirements. They have created a set of basic templates and legal structures to help you start.
- This is a remote role. And while the business is headquartered in NZ, all team members operate remotely. There will, however, be an expectation that you will travel and meet from time to time, particularly if negotiations with customers demand it.
Reporting to CEO, you will be on the Leadership Team and work closely with an impressive and collaborative team.
THE PERSON THEY ARE LOOKING FOR
- Australian qualified lawyer living in Australia, ideally Melbourne or Sydney, with a current unrestricted practising certificate.
- A Senior IT software and/or Utilities Lawyer, either currently a Head of Legal or capable of stepping up.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in commercial contract negotiations, strategic risk management, and regulatory compliance, with a track record of dealing with C-suite executives.
- Accustomed to working closely, as peers and collaboratively with the Sales Team on the deal-side.
- IT software experience would be an advantage, particularly software servicing utility companies.
- Maturity and discipline to work completely remotely.
- Excellent IT and technology personal skills to allow seamless collaboration across team members
- Software experience and an understanding of energy regulation or the capacity and willingness to learn
- Commercial acumen and risk appetite suited for a start-up – you will be front and centre of assisting the Company drive revenue.
- The ability to work collaboratively and in partnership with the executive and sales team.
WHAT MAKES THIS AN ATTRACTIVE ROLE
- Greenfield role – shape the legal function to be what you’ve always wanted.
- A start-up with an entrepreneurial culture but with the backing of a major corporate.
- Expanding a growing company looking to expand internationally
- Part of the Executive in a critical role
- A dynamic, evolving and growing area of law – an outstanding career move.
- Completely remote role
- Collaborate and high-performing Executive and Team.
- Competitive remuneration – c. $250K inc super
This role is looking to fill quickly, so if this sounds like an opportunity you would like to explore further, please apply, and we will be in touch soon.
Alternatively, if you would like to have a confidential conversation first, don’t hesitate to get in touch with Andrew Murdoch at Dovetail Legal Solutions firstname.lastname@example.org – to arrange an initial chat.
Founded in 2015, Dovetail is Australia’s only dedicated in-house legal recruiter. We’ve assisted over 300 companies and helped thousands of lawyers grow their careers. See how we can help you: www.dovetaillaw.com.au