Head of Legal – Asia PacificI'm interested
Excellent Sydney-based permanent opportunity for an experienced and highly skilled Head of Legal to join a leading global risk and insurance business and manage its significant legal function across the Asia Pacific region.
- A leading global risk and insurance company with a history spanning over 100 years
- Operating in over 120 countries with over 40,000 employees around the world
- A strong reputation and a commitment to excellence
THE ROLE: Head of Legal – Asia Pacific
As Head of Legal – Asia Pacific, you will manage the delivery of legal services of the business, supporting complex legal projects and advising leadership on various legal issues related to the simplification, growth, transformation, and management of the business across the Asia Pacific region.
You will collaborate with other legal professionals, centres of expertise and functions to ensure that the breadth and depth of the legal service capabilities are delivered seamlessly to the businesses across the Asia Pacific.
You will manage a relatively large team of professionals (15+), serve as a member of the senior leadership team for the global legal function and be on key committees for the business.
You will provide legal advice and guidance on a wide range of legal matters for the business, including:
- Contract preparation, review and negotiations;
- M&A activity;
- Employment issues; and
- Regulatory developments.
Significant responsibilities include:-
- Managing the provision of general legal, transactional, and regulatory advice to the Asia Pacific business leadership teams.
- Team leadership and management – Lead, motivate, and manage a professional team, including monitoring colleague well-being and progress against inclusion and diversity objectives.
- Driving projects and improvement initiatives aligned to the Legal function and business objectives.
- Undertaking and overseeing effective engagement with the company’s business clients, government regulators, vendors, outside lawyers, trade bodies and other parties.
- Managing legal issues effectively and efficiently in line with business objectives and values and within company and entity risk appetites.
- Insurance broking / financial services experience – Deep knowledge and experience in financial services laws and regulation. Experience with insurance broking is required, with deep understanding strongly preferred.
- Regional scope – Experience in providing legal advice (or managing others who give legal advice) across multiple jurisdictions, especially experience within Asia, Australia and the wider Pacific.
- Professional services / advisory background – Experience advising professional services businesses.
- Demonstrated track record as a senior lawyer (15+ years) across private practice and/or in-house with a current legal practising certificate.
- Solid track record of handling complex and sophisticated legal matters in an efficient and commercial-friendly manner.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in managing teams of professionals.
- Ability to influence and work closely with all senior management levels and provide strategic legal advice.
- Calm under pressure, ability to handle confidential information and opinions with discretion.
- Ability to see the big picture regarding the Company’s legal and ethical obligations to protect its reputation.
- Respected for substantive expertise and work ethic, able to inspire others as a role model.
- Experience in managing legal matters effectively and upholding the Company’s reputation for integrity.
- Familiarity with company secretarial responsibilities helpful, whether listed or private.
- Ability to support legal and compliance aspects of M&A (including due diligence) and to identify potential issues.
- Ability to evaluate and advise on the impact of regulatory changes and to support the Company’s businesses and functions in addressing those changes.
- Innovative thinker, effective delegator but established hands-on lawyer with a record of diligent and active involvement in projects.
- A regional leadership role within a well-respected global legal function
- Work closely with Sydney-based CEO Asia Pacific and a high-performing executive team within a highly regarded international company
- Varied and interesting work – supporting every function within the business
- Excellent remuneration package
If this sounds like an opportunity you would like to explore further, please submit your CV to apply and we will be in touch.
Alternatively, if you would like to have a confidential conversation first, please contact Charlie Smirl at Dovetail Legal Solutions email@example.com – to arrange a time for an initial chat.