Commercial Lawyer – Western Sydney UniversityI'm interested
A fantastic opportunity for a commercial lawyer with 3 to 7 years’ experience to join the Western Sydney University (WSU) legal team.
A legal role at Western Sydney University offers more than just a job – it’s an opportunity to be at the forefront of higher education, make tangible impacts, enjoy a balanced lifestyle, and continuously grow in a stimulating environment. If these align with your career aspirations and values, WSU could be the perfect fit for you!
Western Sydney University is a modern, forward-thinking, research-led university located at the heart of Australia’s fastest-growing and economically significant Western Sydney region. Boasting 11 campuses – many in Western Sydney CBD locations – and more than 200,000 alumni, 49,500 students and 3,500 staff, the University has 13 Schools with well-designed programs and subjects carefully structured to meet future industry demands.
The University is ranked in the top two per cent of universities worldwide, and as a research leader, 85 per cent of the University’s assessed research is rated at ‘World Standard’ or above.
Watch this 2min video to learn more about the University: https://youtu.be/t7ajitWWWf4
THE LEGAL TEAM
An established team of ## high-performing and collaborative lawyers led by the General Counsel, Nicole Bannerman. This role reports to Peter Lloyd, known for his strategic, commercial approach and pragmatic legal leadership, along with the effective engagement of teams and innovation in delivering legal services.
This supportive and collaborative team works closely to provide the University with the best service possible. The team embrace a culture of continuous learning and upskilling that will help form the foundation of your career for decades to come.
I have known Peter and Nicole for the past decade, and they are two of the best lawyers and people I have had the pleasure of working with. Lawyers I have spoken with who have worked for Nicole and Peter rave about their experience. They dedicate themselves to providing the best legal service, creating a supportive culture, and investing in their team.
Western Sydney University, South Paramatta Campus, James Ruse Drive &, Victoria Rd, Rydalmere NSW 2116. Click the link to see the location: https://maps.app.goo.gl/xbtBuFTt7RSoiHic9
Driving is the easiest way to commute, and there is parking available.
This is some of the best legal work available – varied, interesting and cutting-edge.
The primary responsibility of the role is to provide strategic and commercial legal advice on complex legal matters, including: –
- Negotiate and provide authoritative and strategic legal advice and services across a wide range of commercial transactions (including procurement, sponsorships, infrastructure and technology) and transactions supporting the University’s academic and research endeavours (such as academic partnerships, international projects, agency arrangements and program delivery agreements).
- Draft and settle contracts, disputes, agreements, letters, correspondence and memoranda of understanding with internal and external parties as instructed and in accordance with University objectives.
- Provide strategic legal advice on commercial transactions with domestic and international partners.
- Work collaboratively with clients on business opportunities by providing advice and services on suitable structures and based on the University’s risk appetite.
- Ensure all commercial matters that affect the University are managed promptly, considering the University’s risk appetite.
- Ensure University senior staff are provided with quality legal advice on matters of strategic importance to the University.
- Maintain constructive and effective relationships with University clients.
- Liaise with and supervise external legal service providers to ensure beneficial and cost-effective legal outcomes for the University.
- Assist and provide high-level strategic legal advice on developing, reviewing, and drafting University statutes and policies, including liaising with internal and external stakeholders.
- Proactively identify actual and potential legal and regulatory risks and make recommendations for constructive approaches and responses (including policy review or development and training initiatives).
- Provide input into responses to draft legislation and government or regulatory reviews or reports.
- Proactively promote and develop training and other educational or knowledge-sharing initiatives for University client groups (e.g., seminars, briefing sessions, newsletters)
- An unrestricted practising Australian Legal Practicing Certificate
- 3 to 7 years post-qualification experience, including experience advising, negotiating, and drafting commercial contracts.
- Demonstrated ability to provide and draft sound legal advice on complex issues.
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills, including communicating effectively and explaining legal concepts and requirements to senior staff and community and business partners with various professional and academic backgrounds.
- An ability to work within a small team and adopt a flexible approach to a demanding and time-pressed client base.
- Strong negotiation skills, including a capacity to exercise sound judgment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the ethical and professional standards framework to which legal practitioners are expected to comply, as well as an understanding of the principles of legal professional privilege within an in-house context.
- An innovative mindset and being open to change, as the legal function, constantly seeks ways to improve their service through automation and other technologies.
WHY YOU SHOULD CONSIDER A LEGAL ROLE AT WSU
Prestigious Institution: Western Sydney University is one of Australia’s leading institutions, renowned for its dynamic, innovative approach to education. Working at WSU will allow you to be a part of a team that upholds its academic excellence and reputation.
Diverse Challenges: Universities face various legal issues – from intellectual property and research contracts to employment law, student rights, and property transactions. This variety will challenge you, ensure that no two days are the same, and expand your legal acumen across various areas.
Impact on Education: Lawyers at educational institutions play a pivotal role in shaping policies and practices that affect thousands of students and staff. Your contributions will directly impact higher education and the future leaders it produces.
Work-Life Balance: The academic environment often offers a more balanced approach to work-life than the hustle and grind of corporate law firms. Enjoy more predictable hours, campus amenities, and a vibrant atmosphere. Hybrid and flexible working available.
Continual Learning: Being in an academic setting will expose you to cutting-edge research, knowledge, and a myriad of opportunities for professional development. It’s an environment that promotes and celebrates lifelong learning.
Collaborative Environment: Universities, by nature, are collaborative. You’ll work with diverse stakeholders – from academics to administrators- ensuring a comprehensive perspective on matters and fostering teamwork.
Community and Culture: Campus life is rich with events, cultural activities, and a sense of community. Being a part of WSU means a hub of intellectual activity, cultural events, and an atmosphere of progress.
Great Team: Excellent, experienced, and supportive legal team
Salary, Benefits and Perks: HEW Level 9
- $146,398 to $156,342 p.a., including superannuation.
- Additionally, WSU offers a range of benefits, from professional development opportunities to health and well-being programs, access to campus facilities, library resources, and staff discounts.
If this sounds like an opportunity you want to explore, please apply, and we will contact you.
Alternatively, if you would like to have a confidential conversation first, please get in touch with Andrew Murdoch at Dovetail Legal Solutions at email@example.com – to arrange an initial chat.
Founded in 2015, Dovetail is Australia’s only dedicated in-house legal recruiter. We’ve made over 300 placements, assisted hundreds of companies and helped grow the careers of hundreds of lawyers. We give access to more lawyers and jobs than any other provider.